Thursday, February 7, 2013

No-Knead whole wheat bread

Happy Friday Eve!!

Have you ever tried making bread???

I made my 1st load 2 Thanksgivings ago. It was rugged! So dense and barely edible. My yeast wasn't good and it didn't rise much in 4 hours. I didn't know what I was doing then though so I just went with it. Luckily I wasn't feeding a bunch of folks and everyone who tried it was very comforting :)

But I kept trying new recipes and kept kneading. It is extremely satisfying to make your own bread, cut a warm piece and buttering it up!

I have tried countless recipes but the easiest and cheapest recipe I have ever used is a no-knead recipe! Kneading your dough is the most difficult part of making bread. This recipe DOES NOT require kneading! You use time to do your kneading.

You want to give yourself a day to make this. Plan on starting it the day before you need it. I recommend using whole wheat BREAD FLOUR. It makes for a really good finished product.

Also you need a dutch oven. Most kitchens in America do not have this now a days but it used to be a common piece of cook wear. You can spend a lot on some but we have LODGE's from Walmart. It was under $50, which seems like a lot to spend on a large pot. But they are AMAZING! Cast iron is one of the best cook wears you can use. What you cook in is SO important! Stainless steel and cast iron is what I use. Nothing else. Teflon left our kitchen years ago and will NEVER be seen again. I recommend looking into what you are cooking on. AND get a dutch oven! You will not be disappointed.

Here's a great starter kit

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron-Cookware-6-Piece-Set/10902898

Try this recipe out. You do not need a dutch oven either. It makes it super easy but you can also use a pizza stone that you can buy for $10 at Target. When using the pizza stone you would pre-heat the stone as you would the dutch oven in the recipe. But you would also have to add a shallow pan filled with water at the bottom of the oven. The dutch oven creates a moist environment for the cooking bread. Putting the water bath in the oven is another way of creating this environment which is needed to create a crunchy crust.

http://www.steamykitchen.com/168-no-knead-bread-revisited.html


There are so many bread recipes out there to try! I have made sourdough bread, stuffed bread, many pizza doughs, calzones, sandwich bread, baguettes, loaves, english muffins, hamburger buns and many more! Every bread product that you can buy you can make! And once you get the hang of it or get a good food processor or blender that also kneads dough it can make it even easier.

I will post a recipe for tortillas soon too! :) Whole foods can be turned into processed foods right in your own kitchen!

LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment