Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Happy Wednesday!

My sister is in town for the week so I will probably be behind in my posts until this weekend and early next week. So...


I wanted to post a few recipes that can spice up your dinners!

Here is an enchilada sauce that you can add to just about anything "latin" inspired:

2 tablespoon extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
1 small onion diced
3 garlic cloves diced
3 tablespoons chile powder
3 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon dry oregano
28 oz canned whole tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoon raw honey

Heat oil with onions until translucent
add garlic, chile powder, cumin, coriander, and oregano and stir together until well combined and heat for 1 minute or so
add tomatoes and stir until well combined
season with salt and pepper and add honey
simmer on low uncovered for 45 mins stirring occasionally

when done process it in a blender or food processor for a smooth, flavorful sauce that is good on almost anything :)

I got this recipe online somewhere at some time though I no longer remember where. I cannot take full credit for this recipe though I have made adjustments.

(Also taste as your sauces progress...knowing how your food tastes before certain spices and after is important in developing a "chef's palate" so taste and adjust seasoning, salt etc to your taste buds. This is the secret to full flavor full!)

This recipe is great to toss with pasta and chicken or salmon and loads of vegetables:

Lemon cashew basil pesto

3 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves minced
3/ teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
1 cup + 2 tablespoons cashews
2 1/2 cups fresh basil with stems included

Blend first 7 ingredients until well combined then add last to and process until smooth


And one more tasty dressing to add to a kale salad or any other fresh veggies:

Curried almond dressing

1/2 cup almonds
2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2/3 cup water
minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon curry seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

add all ingredients in a blender and or food processor and blend until combined.


I actually found all of these recipes online though I have used them for a couple of years and do not have the links written down. I always tweak my recipes and taste as I go to make sure we are creating something full flavored and yummy and I recommend doing the same EVERY time you cook!

Happy early Valentines!

LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment